[Maths-Education] Being outdated

Judy Mousley maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Thu, 1 May 2003 13:06:10 +1000

People are going overboard with this lately. I agree with the points
you make, Anne. I would much prefer to see acknowledgement and use of
original ideas (including those of the authors you mention) rather
than re-packaged ideas.
Quality ideas develop, but do not date -- and having a date that
starts with a 2 is no indication of quality. Authors should show an
awareness of seminal papers, relevant research, and key developments,
no matter what the date on the publications that enable them to do
that.
At the moment I am handling reviews of papers submitted for the MERGA
conference, and am learning a lot from skim reading them. It is quite
annoying to see a comment like "You should have referred to articles
by xxx, 2000, and xxx and YYY, 2002" -- especially if I know those
recent articles and think that the authors have not made a useful
contribution to the topic of the paper.
There are quite a few older works that I refer to regularly. Some of
these useful authors (such as Skemp and vonGlaserfeld) had the
decency to acknowledge their own sources.
Judy