[Maths-Education] Request: references about the history of averages

maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:56:24 +0100

I was at first inclined to think that Harry might be out on a limb, but a
quick internet search indicates that this is far from the case.

Tim Rowland

--On 02 September 2002 16:50 +0100 HARRY MERRICK
<merr-cs0@wpmail.paisley.ac.uk> wrote:

> ********************************** This message has been generated
> through the Mathematics Education email discussion list. Hitting the
> REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
> ********************************** Mark
>
> Would it cause problems for your initial hypothesis if I said that I,
> and I think most Secondary school teachers in this part of the country
> (could be wrong here:), normally list them as mean, mode and median?
>
> Regards
>
> Harry Merrick
> School of Education
> University of Paisley

> ********************************** This message has been generated
> through the Mathematics Education email discussion list.
> Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
> ********************************** Hi folks,
>
> I wonder if anyone has any good references about the origins of
> 'averages'
> (mean, median and mode)in mathematics, , and also their inclusion in
> the
> school curriculum,
>
> I am interested both in 'raw' history, and also any social/cultural
> analysis - for example why do 'we' in maths ed tend to list them as
> mean,
> median and mode,
>
> I have some ideas already about that
>
> thanks
>
> Mark
>
> Mark Boylan
> School of Education
> Sheffield Hallam University
> 35 Broomgrove Rd
> Sheffield
> UK

> Legal disclaimer
> --------------------------
>
> The information transmitted is the property of the University of Paisley
> and is intended only for the person or entity  to which it is addressed
> and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Statements and
> opinions expressed in this  e-mail may not represent those of the
> company.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination and other use of, or
> this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the
> material from any computer.

Dr Tim Rowland
Faculty of Education
University of Cambridge
Hills Road Site
Cambridge CB2 2PH
England

Phone [44] [0]1223 507298
Fax [44] [0]1223 300982
email tr202@cam.ac.uk

http://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/staff/rowland.html

British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics
http://bsrlmserv.ioe.ac.uk/