[Maths-Education] Request: references about the history of averages

HARRY MERRICK maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:50:20 +0100

Mark

Would it cause problems for your initial hypothesis if I said that I,
and I think most Secondary school teachers in this part of the country
(could be wrong here:), normally list them as mean, mode and median?

Regards

Harry Merrick
School of Education
University of Paisley

>>> M.S.Boylan@shu.ac.uk - 9/2/02 11:15 AM >>>
This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education email
discussion list.
Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone has any good references about the origins of
'averages'
(mean, median and mode)in mathematics, , and also their inclusion in
the
school curriculum,

I am interested both in 'raw' history, and also any social/cultural
analysis - for example why do 'we' in maths ed tend to list them as
mean,
median and mode,

I have some ideas already about that

thanks