[Maths-Education] Request: references about the history of averages

maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:55:23 +0100

--============_-1181064396==_ma============

A thought.

It would be a great step forward if we could delay the introduction
of "summative measures of  central tendency and width" until a few
years after kids had learnt to describe these and other features of
distributions in a semi-quantitative way (currently it comes in
reverse order in many countries)

Graphical tools now make this straightforward.  The pedagogy needs to catch up
  (as some at ICOTS have often recommended)

Hugh Burkhardt

 --></style><title>Re: [Maths-Education] Request: references about the
introduction of &quot;summative measures of&nbsp; central tendency and
width&quot; until a few years<b> after</b> kids had learnt to describe
these and other features of distributions in a semi-quantitative way
(currently it comes in reverse order in many countries)</div>
needs to catch up</div>