[Maths-Education] The resource for the course

John Monaghan J.D.Monaghan@education.leeds.ac.uk
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:27:55 +0100

A quick response to Tim Rowland and then I'll keep quiet on this topic:

At 06:01 PM 9/17/01 +0100, Tim wrote:
>Maybe it is appropriate for GCSE questions to be routine, in the sense
suggested in the blurb?

OK, I can go along with that. The problem that I see with the exam culture
in education today is that exams permeate and control almost every aspect
of classroom life. This breed of exam-based textbooks offers exam training
in place of challenging mathematical activities. As to research I'd point
to Jo Boaler's work rather than mine (chapter 7 of her thesis and the
section on procedural and conceptual questions).