[Maths-Education] The resource for the course

Laurinda Brown Laurinda.Brown@bristol.ac.uk
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:59:19 +0100

My sense is that some KS3 SATs questions are interesting as was
mentioned and that these can then positively affect the sort of diet
students are offered. Similarly the Maths Challenge papers present
problems to solve that could be worked on in a maths club environment.
I can see why you would want to test at a few levels below the
operational level of the students - but experience tells me that this
is simply not what happens in the UK - the textbooks and therefore the
teaching in many classrooms becomes targetted to that test rather than
there being a sense of mastery from having developed ideas beyond the
syllabus. I agree that Jo Boaler's PhD research says what needs to be
said.

Laurinda Brown
University of Bristol
Graduate School of Education