[Maths-Education] Effects of the new AS arrangements for mathematics

MugwumpM1@aol.com MugwumpM1@aol.com
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:01:51 EST

--part1_44.16ec5205.293407bf_boundary

I cannot quite get my head round this conundrum.
Taking 3 modules in June of Y12 is clearly too much for students who are
burdened with 4 AS-levels; particularly weaker ones.
A solution would be to take them in the order 2 - 2 - 2. June / January  /
June
Teaching order wouldn't be changed much but exam readiness would be better in
the form of stress reduction.

Unfortunately, for those who are only doing AS you have these students taking
3 in June of Y12. The weakest in the year group taking more exams than the
strongest - silly. Another possibility is that they take the 3rd module in
January of Y13.

The whole business is a mess whichever way one looks at it and whatever one
actually does. I just feel so sorry for the students.

Graham Curson
Plymouth High School for Girls.

--part1_44.16ec5205.293407bf_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>I cannot quite get my head round this conundrum.
<BR>Taking 3 modules in June of Y12 is clearly too much for students who are burdened with 4 AS-levels; particularly weaker ones.
<BR>A solution would be to take them in the order 2 - 2 - 2. June / January &nbsp;/ June
<BR>Teaching order wouldn't be changed much but exam readiness would be better in the form of stress reduction.
<BR>
<BR>Unfortunately, for those who are only doing AS you have these students taking 3 in June of Y12. The weakest in the year group taking more exams than the strongest - silly. Another possibility is that they take the 3rd module in January of Y13.
<BR>
<BR>The whole business is a mess whichever way one looks at it and whatever one actually does. I just feel so sorry for the students.
<BR>
<BR>Graham Curson
<BR>Plymouth High School for Girls.
<BR></FONT></HTML>