[Maths-Education] workshop and seminar on undergraduate mathematics

M Melissa Rodd M.M.Rodd@education.leeds.ac.uk
Fri, 11 May 2001 11:53:42 +0100

ON JUNE 7TH

also elect to come to

a WORKSHOP and SEMINAR on UNDERGRADUATE MATHEMATICS EDUCATION

at LEEDS UNIVERSITY.

At 4:30, Dr Elena Nardi and Dr Paola Iannone will be giving a seminar paper
on their recent Nuffield Foundation funded project concerned with first
year mathematics undergraduates' formal mathematical writing:

	NECESSITY OR CONVENTION?
	ADJUSTING TO THE NORMS OF FORMAL MATHEMATICAL REASONING

This is a seminar hosted by the Centre for Studies in Science and
Mathematics Education - all are welcome, tea and biscuits from 4pm in the
Centre on level 10 of the EC Stoner building.

Prior to the seminar, at 3pm, we would like to invite anyone working with
undergraduates in mathematics (lecturers, tutors, researchers) to join
Elena and Paola in a round table discussion of students' written work. In
particular, we will examine samples of the students' written responses
to mathematical tasks that involve the use of Proof by Contradiction and
Proof by Mathematical Induction. We will then discuss a number of student
difficulties that relate to the mechanics of these proving techniques and
embed these difficulties into the wider context of the students'
problematic transition to formal mathematical reasoning.

After the seminar we intend to have an early supper at a restaurant (to
finish by 8pm, near the station).

If you would like to come to the 3 o'clock workshop, or supper, it would be
helpful if you could email Melissa Rodd (local contact).

The workshop and seminar will be held in the Mathematics Education suite,
room 8.90 in E C Stoner building (no. 69 on the campus map attached)

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus_map/map_sec2.htm#69

Dr Melissa Rodd
Lecturer in Mathematics Education
University of Leeds