[Maths-Education] Cambridge Mathematics Education Colloquium

Lim Chap Sam cslim@usm.my
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:56:13 +0800

Dear Tim

What a coincidence! I have just passed some survey questionnaires to my
final year students asking them about the same questions as Candia's talk.
We are in the process of rearranging the mathematics courses to be taken by
the coming new math education undergraduates. We are having the same doubt
that is whether our university math  course have provided a good
preparation for our prospective math teachers?

I would like very much to have a copy of the report. I am sure it will
serve as  a good reference for my study.  I hope either you or Candia can
send me one, if possible?

Perhaps when I have mine ready, I will send you one too. What do you think?

Thanks and look forward to your reply.

chapsam

At 11:28 AM 7/3/01 +0000, you wrote:
*****
>This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education email
discussion list.
>Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
*****

>Dear Colleague
>
>CAMRIDGE MATHEMATICS EDUCATION COLLOQUIUM
>
>Monday 12th March 2001, 5.30 p.m., Room 218, Mary Allan Building, Homerton
>College, Cambridge
>
>Dr Candia Morgan, Institute of Education, University of London
>
>IS UNIVERSITY MATHEMATICS A GOOD PREPARATION FOR TEACHING MATHEMATICS?
>
>The Mathematics Association working group 'Teaching and Learning
>Undergraduate Mathematics' has carried out a survey among students on PGCE
>secondary mathematics courses asking them to write about their responses
>to their previous experiences of mathematics courses at university. Many
>of the students expressed strong feelings and opinions - both positive and
>negative. A preliminary analysis of the responses will be presented and
>possible relationships between undergraduate experiences of mathematics
>and preparation for teaching will be discussed.
>
>Tea and coffee will be available from about 5 o'clock. All are welcome.
>Please contact Tim Rowland tr202@cam.ac.uk for directions and further
>details.
>
>________________________
>
>Dr Tim Rowland
>Homerton College
>University of Cambridge
>Cambridge CB2 2PH
>England
>
>Phone [44] [0]1223 507298
>Fax [44] [0]1223 300982
>email tr202@cam.ac.uk
>
>British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics
>http://www.warwick.ac.uk/BSRLM/
>
>Membership enquiries:
>http://www.warwick.ac.uk/BSRLM/Joining.htm

Dr LIM Chap Sam