[Maths-Education] Homework: where is the limit?

Barbara Jaworski barbara.jaworski@educational-studies.ox.ac.uk
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:27:36 +0000

I'm bothered by the terms 'ethical judgment' and 'efficient
learning', written as if they were well understood , which they are
not.

Thanks to Laurinda for expressing much better than I could have done
myself what I agree is important about learning, whether in or out of
school.

Maybe one problem is the "work-ethic".  If we call learning "work" it
takes on much unfortunate baggage.  While observing a lesson
yesterday, I heard rather too often the instruction (shouted) "Get on
with your work"!

Is it way too cuddly and fanciful, and banned by the numeracy
strategy, to seek 'efficient' ways of teaching that are defined as
making kids want to do mathematics at home and  learn some serious
maths as well?

Barbara

>********************************************************************************
>This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education
>email discussion list.
>Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
>********************************************************************************
>
>I think that there is room for an ethical judgement in regard to homework.
>I find it highly questionable to expect pupils to work all day at school
>and then be expected to do several hours homework, as my sons both had to.
>This involved my children in working longer hours than many adult workers.
>This is particualrly regrettable as the evidence base for extra learning
>is questionable.
>
>There should be limits placed, for ethical reasons, and in the interests
>of efficient learning.
>
>jim
>
>Jim D N Smith BSc MEd BA
>Mathematics Education Centre
>School of Education
>Sheffield Hallam University
>36 Collegiate Crescent
>Sheffield
>S10 2BP
>
>http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/ed/teaching/dns/
>http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/ed/centres/ma.html
>
>0114 225 2349 desk
>0114 225 2339 fax
>
>d.n.smith@shu.ac.uk
>
>Common-sense is unexamined theory.
>Reality is a convenient fiction.

Dr. Barbara Jaworski
Reader in Mathematics Education
Oxford Centre for Mathematics Education Research
University of Oxford Department of Educational Studies
15 Norham Gardens
Oxford OX2 6PY
UK

Phone:   01865 274041/24