[Maths-Education] Homework

Laurinda Brown Laurinda.Brown@bristol.ac.uk
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:10:10 +0000

I liked Peter's story of the languages teacher which I had heard before
and liked. This seems more evidence for learning not being about using
memory, practice etc - so - introspect - when you are learning when do
you dwell in what you're doing? Then we might have a candidate for
homework. The sort of thing I was thinking about in my previous message
is where children have been working on their own questions in a
collaborative environment and continue working with their problem both
in and out of the classroom. Sometimes parents/guardians get involved
too and this can have various consequences - I can remember a next-door
neighbour, a university mathematician, once sending in a homework
response related to a child's question that I as teacher did not
understand - lots of energy for us all to try to sort it out though.

Laurinda

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:58:20 +0000 Peter Gates