[Maths-Education] URGENT - virus alert

Peter Gates peter.gates@nottingham.ac.uk
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:09:43 +0000

This evening on my home machine I received several messages which seem to
have carried with it an infected executable file called NAVIDADE.EXE.

The actual message seems to have been originally one from Paola Valero
about an information leaflet for the third Mathematics education and
Society Conference. However the message actually came from several other
people including Nuria Gorgorio and others - all apparently from the maths
ed world.

Clicking on the NAVDADE.EXE file - which has an icon like a bar code -
seems to quickly open all your email messages and attempts to send a copy
of the file to everyone.

This isn't a hoax! I just got back from the Portuguese maths teachers
conference - a bit tired and - clicked the NAVIDADE>EXE icon without
thinking - luckily I was not actually connected to the phone line so no
messages went out from my machine - although it tried - which is now
infected.

It placed also an icon on my machine which put a button on my desktop
saying - in Spanish - never push this button.

I will quickly change the email lists into moderated list for the time
being. Its probably best not to trust any message with NAVIDADE.icons in
them. Just bin the icons. I will try on Monday to explore further.

Peter

Peter Gates
School of Education
University of Nottingham