[Maths-Education] Money counts..or money talks? - internation al links

NG Swee Fong (MME) sfng@nie.edu.sg
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 08:39:30 +0800

> ******************
> This message has been generated through the Mathematics
> Education email discussion list.
> Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
> ******************
>

> And what about the mathematics of climate change?

For teachers who are looking for materials to use in their classrooms:

John D Collins' (1995)  book Maths Matters: Example of Mathematics in the
Environment, published by WWF, UK has some excellent examples of how maths
can be used to understand what is happening in the environment.

Areas of interest covered are:
Carbon dioxide: Using mathematics to understand the greenhouse effect
Chapter Two: Investigating Population Issues through Mathematics: Ethiopia
Chapter Three: Using mathematics to understand what is happening to the
world's largest veggies - the elephants
Chapter Four: Our Disappearing Countryside
Chapter Five: The Peregrine Falcon -Master of the Skies
Chapter Six: Oil Slicks pollute our seas

The book is well designed to be used by students in key stages 3 and 4.
Teachers' Notes are provided.

Swee Fong Ng

National Institute of Education
Mathematics and Mathematics Education Academic Group
469 Bukit Timah Road
Singapore 259756
Telephone number: (65) 460-5900
Fax: (65)-4698952