[Maths-Education] Money counts..or money talks?

John Monaghan J.D.Monaghan@education.leeds.ac.uk
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:39:30 +0000

I think Peter's idea, below, is excellent. Two 'obvious', but non-trivial,
and related points, however:

It's relatively easy to say being rich doesn't matter if you're financially
secure. When poverty dominates every aspect of your life being rich
certainly matters a great deal.

There is a stigma about being poor when you are poor. Giving teachers tasks
that raise real social issues without preparing them for this could
backfire in some cases.