[Maths-Education] Re: TTA Numeracy tests for QTS

Mary Briggs M.J.Briggs@warwick.ac.uk
Fri, 12 May 2000 10:40:00 +0100 (BST)

Though the tests this year are important to look at I am already concerned
about the computer based tests which some of our students are trialing
today.  They will be a very different assessment of knowledge based on a
computer and therefore include different types of anxiety for students.
The form of the questions used must be challenged as they are not based in
a professional context that is any way appropriate for NQTs not just the
mathematical inaccuracies.  They are not clear what exactly they are
testing nor really why!
There will also be issues with the new key skills qualification in sixth
forms in the future since this test is supposed to be also testing key
skills--do they really need both?  Perhaps a useful starting point for
getting rid of these.  Someone mentioned 60% as a pass mark I had been
quoted more like70% any advances?

Mary Briggs
Mary.Briggs@warwick.ac.uk

Institute of Education