[Maths-Education] Re: TTA Numeracy tests for QTS

Pat Perks PERKSPA@edusrv3.bham.ac.uk
Thu, 11 May 2000 16:45:25 +0000 [GMT]

Sue Pope wrote:
BSRLM have a working group looking at the tests, their impact on
students etc. - we are aware of a number of errors in the support
materials - if you have noticed any errors please can you let me know
just in case you've spotted something we haven't.

We are concerned about some of the emphasis in this message - anyone
writing maths materials can make mistakes and any attention we focus on
this aspect would encourage the TTA to believe we are validating their
efforts.
Our major emphasis needs to be on
- the impact on the students (should we be doing some collective data
gathering on June 1st - judging by the white faces after the sample
aural test - the impact is quite strong
- the definition of numeracy evinced by the exemplar materials needs to
be challenged, surely we can find a way of providing a better notion of
the numeracy needed for the teaching professioon.

Stephanie Prestage and Pat Perks