[Maths-Education] Rewards from Maths Year 2000: Guinness Book of Records: World's biggest prime-count event

John Bibby, QED/MatheMagic (York, England), maths popularisers qed@enterprise.net
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:25:35 -0000

Can anyone help with the following? Each seems like a nice little project.

Project 1: Write a computer program that will take any number (e.g. 1234567)
and translate it into a word-string (e.g. one million, two hundred and
thirty four thousand, five hundred and sixty seven)
The program must work for all numbers up to a billion

Project 2: Show the prime numbers in sequence on a screen, pointing to the
next prime number when a key is pressed. (At any given time, 3 numbers will
be shown on the screen - pointer will move down the screen)

I envisage using these at the following event:

Guinness Book of Records: World's biggest ever prime-count
Maine Road Football Stadium
July 1st 2000
Starting at 2, a team of mathematical geniuses will try to count every prime
number up as far as possible - will we hit a million?

(The event at Maine Road is definite - information will be available from
0800-100-900. The Guinness event is conjectural at present.)

Any offers to oversee these tasks for me?
Maths Year 2000 could pay a small reward to the school that helps.

JOHN BIBBY