[Xerte] Pedagogical Patterns (was non coders?)

Peter Pretorius pete.pretorius at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 06:14:46 GMT 2010

Julian,

Of the links you listed, I found the patterns detailed by Pace University,
Joseph Bergin, to be much more easily accessible than those listed at
pedagogicalpatterns.org.  I'm not commenting on their respective value, but
rather solely on how the patterns were presented.  I think those on the
csis.pace.edu pages are much easier to read and understand.  I think it's
due to the liberal use of section headings within the pace.edu pages; though
it's perhaps also due to the *choice* of headings, and the style of writing.

I like the approach you took with your example.  In addition, I do think
Bergin's use of a "Thumbnail" section immediately after the name was very
helpful, since I found that the first question that always occurred to me
after reading the pattern name, whether it was *Fixer Upper*, *Mistake*, or
*Larger Than Life*, was, "What *is* this Pattern?"  And the "Thumbnail"
section succinctly answered that.

I also liked the "Audience / Context" heading that Bergin uses, since a
question for me would often be, "When can/should I use this?  In front of
what audience?"  I think "Context" alone could suffice, but I think the
former heading may be more descriptive, and so offer greater clarity to a
wider audience.

By the way, the Pace.edu page seems to have different iterations.  The
"Thumbnail" section wasn't present on the link you provided, but it is
present on this version of the page:
http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/PedPat1.2.html#earlybird.

I think deciding on a template as a first step, as you suggest, makes sense.
 As with Weisburgh's template (the Wikipedia page), perhaps some sections
could be optional, and so be present or not depending on whether they apply
to the current pattern.  I also like the idea of keeping the patterns to one
page, and of trying to keep their explanations as simple as possible (but
not simpler), so that even a layman can understand them.  As you have
suggested, the more clearly we can explain a pattern, the more we amplify
its utility.

- Pete

<http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/PedPat1.2.html#earlybird>