[Xerte] Questions about Templates Error, WYSIWYG, Open Source license,

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 2 10:05:35 GMT 2010

HI,

Thanks for the questions.

Which templates are causing you problems when you try and install them?
What happens exactly?

The WYSIWYG editor would be great, but is quite an undertaking: and
there is some debate over whether it would actually simplify things -
also some types of icon don't have visual elements on the screen, so how
to select and adjust properties of those? There is some WYSIWYG via
shift-F5.

The project is completely open source -do whatever you like with it. If
you or others want to develop a new editor for the .rlo format, that
would be great, and something I'd be keen to support - but I cannot do
it alone. The current work on Xerte 3.0 might present an opportunity to
add the WYSIWYG stuff, as the codebase for that is much more object
oriented and modular, and easier to work with  - remember, Xerte 2.x
began life in 2004 as a Flash 6 swf, in the days before any proper
object-oriented support in Flash. Xerte 3.0 is built on the Flex
framework, and is all ActionScript 3.0, so it's right up to date, and
there is loads of potential. I'm very keen to encourage a developer
community around it.

Who do you mean by instructors? Academics at your institution? I don't
think that even a WYSIWYG editor will get them doing what is essentially
programming, and they will need some skills with scripting. Here, our
academics use Xerte Online Toolkits to create content from templates,
and they manage quite well - you might want to explore that more. I
don't think there is a holy grail, and I have searched hard for it too -
I think the answer is in a suite of tools that compliment each other,

Regards,