[Xerte-dev] Re: example_zipper issue revisited

David Goodwin david at palepurple.co.uk
Thu May 1 09:56:30 BST 2014

On 01/05/14 09:09, Ron Mitchell wrote:
> Hi John
> I was just going to test your export code on a server where I don't have
> access to change php settings so the memory limit is fixed at 128MB. I know
> what David means that ideally we want cross platform code but as you say
> there are inevitably different solutions/restrictions for some e.g. no
> control over memory limit. In fact the upload limit on this particular
> shared server is set at the default 2MB so I had to upload the test 62MB mp4
> via ftp. However I'm now confused further because this is the same XOT code
> as the other servers I was using for testing so I expected the export to
> fail when testing before replacing the export code with yours and yet it
> didn't fail and I was able to download the zip which didn't contain any
> example_zipper files.
>
> I'm glad you're able to reproduce the issue but not sure how a server with
> 128MB memory limit is able to export ok without a change of code or memory
> limit :-(

John's code for export.php avoids using php/scorm/archive.php - or at
least doesn't use it fully.

My understanding is that :

a. PHP's default memory limit has been 128mb for a few years now (since
around version 5.2 I think).... and I'd have thought it to be reasonable
to expect any new installs to have a memory limit of around this value.

b. PHP has a 'zip' extension - which is probably installed by default
(perhaps?). If so, this ought to be better to use than the
php/scorm/archive.php variant.

c. I don't think anyone's actually done any profiling of the code yet to
get an idea of what is gobbling up memory.

David.

--
Pale Purple Ltd

PHP Web application development and support

http://www.palepurple.co.uk
@PalePurpleLtd
07792 380669 / 0845 0046746