[Syrphidae] Episyrphus balteatus - migration studies

ximo mengual sanchis xmengual at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:00:57 BST 2015

Dear all,

I'm asking for some help for our colleague Dr. Myles Menz, from university
of Bern (Switzerland). He would like to obtain specimens of *Episyrphus
balteatus* from across Europe for a stable isotope study. This will be used
to infer origins of individuals migrating through Europe during Autumn.

He needs 5-10 individuals, including males and females, from each location.
They can just be stored dry, or in ethanol. Preferably specimens would be
collected in June or the first week of July.

I know that most of you do not collect *E. balteatus* because you have many
specimens already in your collections. But my petition is that if you go to
the field these days, please keep in mind the project of Myles and get some*
E. balteatus*.

Keep in mind that the specimens are intended for stable isotope analysis,
and they will remain in Switzerland for further analysis (no return).

Here the contact info of Myles:

Dr. Myles Menz
University of Bern
Institute of Ecology and Evolution
Baltzerstrasse 6
3012 Bern
myles.menz at iee.unibe.ch

Thanks!!

Ximo

Dr. Ximo Mengual
Head of the Diptera Section
Stiftung Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig
Leibniz-Institut für Biodiversität der Tiere
Adenauerallee 160
D-53113  Bonn, Germany
Phone: 0049 (0)228 9122 292
ZFMK web <https://www.zfmk.de/en/zfmk/ximo-mengual>