[Syrphidae] Hoverfly diet - Aphid content ?

Ludovic Arnaud arnaud.l at fsagx.ac.be
Wed Jun 15 11:09:34 BST 2005

Dear All,

We are currently trying to find an artificial diet to culture Episyrphus
balteatus. We found some good diets, but even if we are able to  keep the
larvae alive for about two weeks, they do not pupate and die. I was
wondering if any of you have already try such culture with artificial diet
? Do you have any trick to suggest ?

Also, we think that the sugar we are using in the diet could be wrong
compared to the sugar found in the aphids ? And aphids probably contain
some specific chemicals which are indispensable to favour larval
development and pupation, but we did not find any good references about
aphid chemical content/composition. Does any of you know such a good paper
where we could find all we need to know about aphids and their
sugar/sterol/etc... content ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and collaboration.

All the very best, Ludovic

Dr Ludovic Arnaud
Unité d'Entomologie fonctionnelle et évolutive
Faculté universitaire des Sciences agronomiques de Gembloux
Passage des déportés, 2
B-5030 Gembloux

Department of functional and evolutionary Entomology
Gembloux Agricultural University
Passage des déportés, 2
B-5030 Gembloux, Belgium

Tel.: +32 (0)81 62 23 44