From heatherbell1992 at gmail.com Tue Sep 1 00:49:00 2026 From: heatherbell1992 at gmail.com (Heather Bell) Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2026 11:49:00 +1200 Subject: [Reading-hall-of-fame] Message from P David In-Reply-To: References: Message-ID: Kia ora tatou Greetings from the Southern Hemisphere In New Zealand we have a saying - *Kua hinga te totara i Te Waonui a Tane - *amighty totara has fallen. A totara is a massive, strong native tree used to carve large waka (canoes) and build houses. It symbolises the loss of a cherished leader of high status. Thank you, David, for your superb contributions to literacy worldwide - you have been a mighty totara. Arohanui Heather Bell On Tue, Sep 1, 2026 at 3:50?AM Gadsden, Vivian Lynette wrote: > Kris? > > Thank you for letting us know. A fine colleague and person and an > extraordinary leader in our field. > > Vivian > > > > > > Get Outlook for iOS > ------------------------------ > *From:* Reading-hall-of-fame < > reading-hall-of-fame-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk> on behalf of Kris D > Gutierrez > *Sent:* Sunday, August 30, 2026 9:50 PM > *To:* Colin Harrison > *Cc:* reading hall of fame > *Subject:* Re: [Reading-hall-of-fame] Message from P David > > Colleagues, > > Our esteemed colleague, mentor and beloved friend, David Pearson, passed > away this morning after battling cancer. More details to follow. > > Many of us, indeed the field, are so indebted to David for his > transformational work and leadership in reading. And many of us will have > many stories to share about how he made our lives and scholarship so much > better. His work was always oriented toward social good and his openness > and generosity made him an invaluable colleague, dean, and friend. I am so > proud that he was a mentor since I was an undergraduate. Here's to you, > David. > > Kris > > > Kris D. Guti?rrez > Distinguished Professor & Carol Liu Chair > Berkeley School of Education > University of California, Berkeley > 2121 Berkeley Way > > Berkeley, Ca 94720-1670 > > gutierrkd at berkeley.edu > Member, National Academy of Education > Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences > Fellow, British Academy > Fellow, ISLS and AERA > > On Tue, Jan 13, 2026 at 12:18?AM Colin Harrison < > colin.harrison at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote: > > Hi everyone > > David has asked me to post this: > > Family, Friends, Neighbors, and Colleagues > > > Here's the latest update on my plan to share updates about my cancer. > > > I am keeping a journal that I?d like to share with folks who want to > follow my progress in dealing with muscle-invasive bladder cancer. I will > post the journal on a website that anyone who has the link can go back to > at any time to check on the latest developments. The link will stay the > same, but the journal will grow as I add entries. It will chronicle the > development, treatment, and sense I am making of this encounter with > bladder cancer. > > > The primary audience for the journal is me. I want to document the > experience as a way of confronting and understanding it. The secondary > audience is the collection of family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues > who might like to be kept abreast of the journey. I have no desire to > impose these updates on those who have no desire to receive them. And I am > hoping this approach will minimize their email burden. > > > Two ways to participate: > > 1. If you click this link > , > it will take you directly to ?pdavidpearson?s Bladder Cancer Journal.? You > can bookmark and return to that link at any time to find the most recent > version of the Journal, with new additions added regularly. > 2. Additionally, if you give me your permission, by responding with an > affirmative email to ppearson at berkeley.edu, I?ll add you to a list of > folks to whom I will send a simple reminder when I have added newsworthy > developments or reflections. Just tell me that you would like to be added > to the notification list. > > The Journal can be read by any person who has email, a web browser, and > the link. You won't need a special word processing app or a google account > or even Adobe reader. > > > If you got this far, thanks for reading. Hope you sign on to the journey. > > > David > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > Reading-hall-of-fame mailing list > Reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk > https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame > > > _______________________________________________ > Reading-hall-of-fame mailing list > Reading-hall-of-fame at lists.nottingham.ac.uk > https://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/reading-hall-of-fame > -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: