[Xerte] Xerte X was officially released on 29th August

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 16:22:39 BST 2018

Hi all

Although quietly announced on our developer list last week many of you
probably won't have seen this announcement.

The Xerte team and project are very pleased to announce the official release
of Xerte X available from  <http://xerte.org.uk/> http://xerte.org.uk

A huge amount of work has gone into this latest release and there are many
new features as well as fixes and improvements to existing features.

Once again with this latest release we are sharing comprehensive release
notes outlining many of the new features
<https://tinyurl.com/xertereleasenotes>
https://tinyurl.com/xertereleasenotes

Many of the new features and affordances were demonstrated and discussed at
our #xerte18 conference in June  <https://goo.gl/t1XELV>
https://goo.gl/t1XELV and recordings of some of the sessions are included in
those conference pages and delegates at the conference were able to explore
and use the special conference release of Xerte X that we made available to
conference attendees ahead of anyone else. This release was codenamed Xerte
X to celebrate 10 years since the first release of XOT.

Do please share your comments via our community site forums, mailing lists
and/or social networks and do please share this news with your respective
communities.

We look forward to seeing and hearing about what you do with this latest
release.

Also for those interested in the Future Teacher Project please see the
following info:

Future Teacher Talk: Working with Rich Media 3 - Video Wednesday 26th
September 13:00 GMT

Hi all

For those of you who have been following our Future Teacher project
activities you'll know that our monthly webinars and free resources have
been very popular and feedback has indicated very useful. After the summer
break (for the webinars at least) we are now preparing for the third session
in the using rich media series this time with the focus on video.
Registration as well as all the previous session recordings and resources is
now available via our usual online resource at
https://xot.futureteacher.eu/play.php?template_id=4

Why it matters: Video clips can make resources more engaging and
explanations infinitely clearer. They can also 'humanise' resources by
making the tutor 'present' in the resource. We explore how and where to
source videos and how to use them creatively - and inclusively - in teaching
and learning. We will also discuss the myriad of tools, techniques and
caveats around curating, creating, editing and using video, in its extremely
wide variety of forms, productively and effectively. As always, the Future
Teacher resources we create will be creative commons resources that you can
adapt for your own institutional training purposes.

How you can help:

1.	Contribute your own experience/expertise as a guest presenter. We'd
really like to hear from you asap if you are interested in delivering a
guest speaker slot during the webinar. If you are please contact us directly
via futureteacher @ learningapps.co.uk.

2.	Join the
<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=FUTURETEACHER> Future
teacher mailing list if you haven't already and share your own examples and
resources of how you use video in your own practice.

3.	Take part in the pre session activities - we'll be releasing three
short video clips over the next few weeks. They'll each have identical core
content but we'll be using different video approaches to communicate it -
take part in the discussions and comparisons.

4.	Pass on this information to your own networks.

5.	Come to the session and - ideally - bring a friend.

As always, we'd ask you to only sign up to the webinar if you intend to
attend on the day - this helps with planning and with purchasing appropriate
online capacity. All sessions are recorded and made available through the
FutureTeacher mailing list but the real value is participating in a live
community with diverse experiences.

Keep the date:

Hundreds of teachers, lecturers, tutors, trainers etc have contributed to
and benefitted from FutureTeacher webinars over the last year. We are
currently planning the UK's Future Teacher conference event at the
University of York on 9 Jan 2019. We'd love to meet you and your colleagues
face to face - more information to come, but hold the date for now!

We look forward to seeing you on the 26th!

Best wishes

Ron, Lilian, Alistair