[Xerte] Re: XOT Limitations

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Apr 27 13:35:30 BST 2015

If I were making a new type of interaction that I wanted to use a lot, or let non-technical users instantiate, definitely build a new page type. You'll need to make a model file that contains the logic and handles the data and an .xwd file that describes the wizard. You need to ut the new xwd file in the src/models folder and run the batch file in there to create a new data.xwd file which you can then replace the one at odules\xerte\parent_templates\Nottingham with the one you just made.

If I were building one-off interactivity or fancy media stuff, I would probably code it up in notepad++ as a standalone html file and then copy / paste the resulting code into an embed page. If that didn't work (because the html wasn't being escaped or something) I'd upload the html file and embed it.

Whilst you can write html into xerte pages, it gets to be a PITA unless it's quite short. If you're writing one file, you will probably have

<script>

and <html> sections.

You have jQuery in there already.