[Xerte] Re: Cost/price for Xerte

Alistair McNaught Alistair.McNaught at HEAcademy.ac.uk
Thu May 1 11:47:22 BST 2014

In fairness, a learning technologist wouldn't need to be employed anything like full time to make Xerte Toolkits work for your organisation. It would be a tiny fraction of their time. There are lots of organisations like ours who have paid for a consultant to set it up and manage any maintenance but we're talking about a day or two here and there at the most and we get a lot of use from toolkits.

Whatever tool you use the overhead will always be getting hard pressed teaching staff to learn new skills and dare to teach differently. But invest in some decent training opportunities and you'll find it's a very attractive cost benefit ratio.

Alistair

-----Original Message-----
From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk [mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Fred Riley
Sent: 01 May 2014 10:09
To: Xerte discussion list
Subject: [Xerte] Re: Cost/price for Xerte

G'day yerself :)

As with all Open Source systems, the costs are in humans, not the software. In the UK, if you wanted a Learning Technologist to install, configure and administer Xerte, then advocate its use in blended learning, the going rate would be £32k-£37k. For a consultant, maybe £250-£300/day (an ex-colleague of mine at Heriot-Watt, who ran her own e-learning consultancy, would charge that). I'm sure that you could translate those numbers into Aussie dollars.

I'd say that Xerte Toolkits is pretty easy to set up, as an administrator - the costs in terms of time and money would be in getting academics and teachers to use it constructively and to incorporate it into their learning and teaching, hence the need for a Learning Technologist or similar.

Just my 2 cents worth - I'd be interested to read the views of others on the human costs, not least as I'm kinda interested in e-learning consultancy myself... ;-)

Cheers

Fred
www.fredriley.org.uk