[Xerte] Re: xerte XOT HTML5 - graphical menu, connector pages

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 8 11:40:15 GMT 2013

The pageID optional attribute was originally included in xwd files to
enable the project author to give a page an identifier that could then be
used in a connector page to reference that page.

pageID became redundant in XOT when Julian enabled the pagelink attribute,
which collected the page information from the projects xml file, so as to
provide the author with a list of pages to select from.

In a Xerte project each page has its own separate xml file and so the
pagelist feature could not function in Xerte. Two versions of the xwd file
were therefore created one for use in Xerte and one for use in XOT.

As an example the multiple choice connector page had a single model file
used by Xerte and XOT but xerte used the xwd file cMcq.xwd whilst XOT used
the file cMcq_XOT.xwd. In Xerte the form prompts the user with "Go to Page
ID" and the user inputs a page id into a text field. In the XOT version the
form prompts the user with "Destination Page" and the user is able to
select a page from the list of pages.

Which xwd file to use when building the master xwd file for XOT is
identified by a parameter called "restrict" in the first line of the xwd
file. restrict="template" results in the xwd file being used for XOT and
restrict="develop" indicates the file is for Xerte.

The key thing here with respect to your considerations is that unless this
has changed since I last worked with the xwds the XOT versions of the
connector pages no longer have an optional "pageID" attribute. The none
connector pages retained their pageID attribute just to retain
compatibility with Xerte rather than to create two xwd files for every page.

Kind regards

Johnathan