[Xerte] Getting items to stay put after a TargetArea interaction. Desktop Xerte 2.17

Paul Swanson Paul.Swanson at harlandfs.com
Mon Mar 26 19:20:59 BST 2012

I'm running into an issue getting graphics to stay at the location where
they were dragged to in a targetArea interaction. What I'm attempting to
accomplish is to have the items appear in their dropped location after
the user has navigated to a different page and then back to the page
with the targetArea interaction. On the page I'm currently working on I
have 6 graphics, whose initial positions are set by variables in my
setup script that loads before the Interface icon. The graphic icons
have the variable names for the x and y properties. I have a single
Interaction icon, with multiple TextArea responses. The responses also
use the variable names for the x and y properties, with the w and h
properties set to stageWidth and stageHeight, respectively. Each
response has dragItems set to "iconIDofGraphic~leave~endDrag." Each
response has a script icon attached which sets the x and y variables to
the current x and y coordinates of the graphic. Each response has the
Exit property set to 0, and the interaction is not perpetual.

What happens is the first response I created works as intended, but the
other responses do not seem to process the script icon. So here are my
questions:
1.       Should I just have a single response icon with all of the
graphics listed in the dragItems property? So instead of 6 responses
with dragItems of "askAquest~leave~endDrag", "userInfo~leave~endDrag",
"addlAssistance~leave~endDrag", "recentArticles~leave~endDrag",
"popularArticles~leave~endDrag", and "customerCenter~leave~endDrag"
should I have a single response with
""askAquest~leave~endDrag,userInfo~leave~endDrag,addlAssistance~leave~en
dDrag,recentArticles~leave~endDrag,popularArticles~leave~endDrag,custome
rCenter~leave~endDrag" and then a script icon that captures all of the
graphics current positions?
2.       If so, what should the x and y properties of the response icon
be? Is that supposed to be the "correct" location of a judged response?
This isn't an assessment, I'm just using Xerte to build a visual tool to
allow users to give us their preferred location of sections of a web
page, so there is no right or wrong position of the graphics.

Paul Swanson
Internal Business Systems Analyst
Internal Business Intelligence
Harland Financial Solutions