[Xerte] Re: Xerte 2.17 Glossary / relative links / css classes

Alistair McNaught Alistair.McNaught at HEAcademy.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 09:48:45 GMT 2012

..busy outlining a work package as we speak...

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Mar 2012, at 09:41, "Julian Tenney" <Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk>> wrote:

I’m hoping we can get a test server setup for the new build somewhere so we can have one place to really test – Alistair is pursuing that.

We’ll be able to build some great examples to show all this new functionality. This next drop has a lot of new stuff in it,

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk> [mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Kemp Johnathan
Sent: 21 March 2012 09:31
To: Xerte discussion list
Subject: [Xerte] Re: Xerte 2.17 Glossary / relative links / css classes

The connector pages are what were in page wizards known as "routed pages".

They will be available in both desktop and toolkits.

Every page will now have a new optional property called "Page ID". This will be used as a unique identifier for that page for use by Connector pages.

The Connector pages provide "exit points" from the page, each of which can have assigned to it a destination page ID. When the learner selects that exit point they are taken to the page identified by the destination page ID for that exit point.

The seven connector pages are

1.      Multiple Choice Question Connector - the exit points are alternative answer options to the question.
2.      Hot spot image Connector - the exit points are the hot spots (These hot spots can also be used for other actions such as displaying a video or playing a sound.
3.      Tab Navigator Connector - which works similar to the standard tab navigator page but includes the ability to add options like in an MCQ page, which again have destination IDs associated with them
4.      Menu Connector - this is slightly different from the other connectors in that it builds a list of links to pages automatically, you can have all the pages in a project or you can specify a start page ID and an end page "page ID" and it will then just list those pages that fall between those to page IDs inclusive. It displays similar to the current menu option in Toolkits.
5.      Plain text Connector in which you can add hyperlinks to text that will link to other pages in the project based on their Page ID
6.      Redirector Connector - this is intended as an end of section page e.g. You might use an MCQ connector to direct the learner to a sequence of standard pages. At the end of the sequence you would use a Redirector Connector page that displays text and an image if required with a button. Click on the button and the learner is taken to the specified destination Page ID, thus enabling the author to return the learner back to the main flow of the project.
7.      Scenario Connector - this is a bit of a monster of a page. It is designed to allow the creation of complex scenarios, by building a project with many Scenario pages, each page representing one scene or situation in the scenario. Each scene can have props in it. Both props and scene can have actions associated with them. Actions can have conditions that define when they are available and have outcomes that define what happens when an action is taken. Outcomes range from incrementing or decrementing one of three available scores, to changing the state of props (Carried, hidden, dropped etc), to being taken to a different scenario page. Scores have maximum and minimum values each of which if required can trigger an "end of scenario" situation with display of the appropriate messaging.
The connector pages open up a tremendous amount of potential.

Kind regards

Johnathan