[Xerte] Re: SimpleNavigation.rlm examples

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 10 15:18:15 GMT 2012

I had a requirement at work for an IT Support learning object that was not
sequential. So I developed the routed page wizards - a number of page
wizards that defined pages that allowed the learning object author to
specify the ID of one or more destination pages. Thus the learning object
user could be presented with a series of options and the next page they saw
would depend on the option they selected.

The simpleNavigation model was developed to support the above project as I
wanted to offer only a Home button (taking you back to the start page) and
a Back button (that was based on a queue so that clicking back took you to
the last page you visited and not the previous page in the project
sequence).

Shortly after I completed the project I was made redundant so whilst I have
been active in the Xerte community I have not completed any more learning
objects other than a demonstration of page wizards project.

Sadly I cannot supply a copy of the complete IT Support project due to
copyright reasons, however there is a small sample of the project included
in the Page Wizard demonstration project that includes usage of the
simpleNavigation model. Please note that only a couple of the IT Support
project pages are shown so many of the options on the pages will generate
an error message, but the first link of the page can be followed. This
should demonstrate the use of the Home and Back buttons.

You can download the Page Wizard demonstration project from the Xerte wiki.
As a result of the recent remodelling of the wiki the Page Wizard page is
no longer listed but you can still access it. Open the Xerte wiki (see the
link on the Xerte site's community page) and then put "page wizard" in the
search box. The bottom entry in the results list should be "Page wizards",
click on this to go to the page wizards page. In the section headed "Using
Page Wizards" you will find a link to download the Xerte 2 Project that
demonstrates the use of Page Wizards.

If you have any specific questions regarding the use of the
simpleNavigation model then please feel free to post them and I will do my
best to answer your queries.

Kind regards

Johnathan