[Xerte] Mapping

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 10:40:36 GMT 2012

Here's some examples of the things you can do with Mapstraction, and I'm open to any ideas you might have... if you know of any useful sources of kml / geoRSS, or anything that can produce them that would be good to know about.

The basic maps wizard needs lat, lng, zoom to position and zoom a map. You can choose from google, yahoo, open layer or Microsoft for the map provider. I think I will build some sort of visual control for selecting lat and lng, because it's a bit of a pain.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CCE7E0.6C1C5B30]

Optional properties are

Flickr search, which will add all the photos to the maps that match your search: here's the tried and tested 'cuillin' search:

[cid:image006.jpg at 01CCE7E0.6C1C5B30]

Or you can add layers of .kml or geoRSS: here's earthquake activity in the last week:

[cid:image007.jpg at 01CCE7E0.6C1C5B30]

Some of the mapping does some cool stuff, like 3D in the bing maps:

[cid:image008.jpg at 01CCE7E0.6C1C5B30]