[Xerte] Re: Query about model answer pagetype in XOT

Tom Reijnders reijnders at tor.nl
Thu Feb 9 09:26:27 GMT 2012

About SCORM:

Once the modularization and the internationalization is form in place, I
want to enable scorm for all models that make sense. We have requests to
even track whether a pupil has 'visited' a youtube page.

So we will have the ability to track much more in the future.

That being said, SCORM still is rather tricky to work with, there are
too many implementations out there that do different things. So we
should really be careful to set the expectations right.

Another thing I want to try is to use remote LO's with scorm, i.e. from
XOT, create a manifest that uses the LO directly from toolkits. All the
assets (images, videos, etc) will remain in XOT. This will GREATLY
improve the maintainability of LO's.

The SCORM packages we build now contain a LOT of unnecessary data we can
safely leave out.

I have this sort of working for the moodle integration. It is not yet
working for a generic XOT because of cross domain flash issues. I need
to look into that, because I don't know enough of flash cross domain
issues to even tell whether it is possible or not, and we go that route
(refer to xot directly in SCORM) I think it should be a generic solution
that will work for the majority of set ups, and not only for moodle
where xot is installed inside the moodle tree.

Tom

Op 9-2-2012 10:04, Julian Tenney schreef:

> The options for saving data are:
>
> - cache it for the current session (write to the xml or somewhere else
> convenient);
>
> - Save between sessions for same user on same machine -- use SharedObject;
>
> - Save between sessions for a roaming user logging in from anywhere.
> Needs user login and authentication (how would the sandpit do this --
> no LMS, no LDAP, no list of end-users), LMS or custom functionality to
> save data.
>
> 1^st is easy.
>
> 2^nd more difficult, but probably simple enough -- but might not be
> worth the effort as many users roam -- use LOs at home, in library, etc).
>
> 3^rd option is an LMS thing or a custom data tracking solution. You
> have to have users with usernames and passwords (and support issues
> when they can't log in). Tom was looking into SCORMing the
> interactions, which seems a potential solution. I am a little cautious
> about the amount of support this would create: what I definitely don't
> want to do is to start creating loads of support issues when you start
> managing usernames, passwords, etc. Think about the sandpit scenario
> -- how would it work best for that?

Tom Reijnders
TOR Informatica
Chopinlaan 27