[Xerte] Re: Query about model answer pagetype in XOT

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 21:56:11 GMT 2012

Ok first a bit of background...

What I called the compareAnswer page was an extension of the stimulating
question page and existed and was shared long before the model answer even
existed e.g. pre Sept 09 http://mitchellmedia.co.uk/230 (Note: The downloads
there are well out of date now)

It proved really popular and has been in use on the sandpit and other
installations since that time. It was simply added to the page templates xwd
and a compareAnswer.rlm model file added to the models directory. No changes
to the .rlt required.

Following feedback I also added a compare answer results page which collated
and displayed all the instructions, questions and responses wherever that
page was added - typically at the end of the LO.

As has been discussed a popular feature of the compare answer page was that
a user could go back and forth through each page and until they closed the
LO altogether their responses are remembered on each page. Also when they
click the feedback button the instruction, question and their answer for
that page is copied to the clipboard. On the separate compare answer results
page all of the results are copied to the clipboard and there was also an
email button that could be improved or replaced with a print button.

I have added the same functionality to the modelAnswer.rlm attached and
tested that this all works. Let me know if you want me to commit this?

It also contains the code needed in preparation for adding a
modelAnswerResults page but I haven't done that yet but happy to do so if it
will be included?

My dilemma with this now though is what to do about all the existing LO's
that have used my compareAnswer page. I wonder if there's a way we could
tweak the engine or wizard or something to show model answer and when its
developed model answer results but still enable editing of previous LO's
using compareAnswer e.g. some kind of conditional in terms of what rlm to
load if the existing data.xml contains compare answer but any new LO's only
see the model answer option? Hope that makes sense ;-)

Cheers

Ron