[Xerte] Re: database.php

Dave Burnett d_b_burnett at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 29 18:32:31 BST 2012

>Although I can see that requirement being a problem in some educational organisations but as you say the potential risks with still using PHP 4 arguably means that's a good thing!

Here's the response from my ISP for a php upgrade:
Dear Dave Burnett,

Thank you for using our service. Let me inform you that your current php version is PHP 4.4, if it is essential for your application to have PHP 5 support we may move your account to a new server with all new features.

Before we can perform a control panel migration for your account, there are several things we need to bring to your attention and require your confirmation. You must ensure you have a complete backup of all web related data which includes the following:

* All files you have uploaded
* Databases
* Email content

Once you have a backup of your content please let us know and we can continue with the migration. After the migration has been completed you will need to re-upload all content and recreate any databases and email accounts as well as pointing your domain nameservers to a new location.

Your old IP Address and hosting content will remain active for two weeks to avoid downtime due to the propagation of the new nameservers. After two weeks the content will be removed from the old control panel.

If you have Windows account and use ColdFusion please note that Coldfusion is not enabled on the new servers by default. You will have to enable this separately in Account Settings for extra cost $5/mo right after the move is completed. Coldfusion version will be upgraded to Coldfusion MX 7 (7.0.2.142559). We cannot proceed with platform switch if you do not agree with these conditions.

Not much to do there eh?So, sure, unilaterally go ahead and force a php upgrade.It will satisfy the purists.