[Xerte] Re: Reading POST parameters from web page in RLO

KnowledgeWare knowledgeware at kccsoft.com
Wed Apr 4 04:38:45 BST 2012

Thanks Dave.let me reload and try to absorb all this.

RonM2   :- )

FROM DAVE:

Launch index.htm with your parameters:

www.server.com/dir/index.htm?courseid=224
<http://www.server.com/dir/index.htm?courseid=224&sname=fred> &sname=fred

add a javascript function to rloObject.js to get the querystring values:

function getdata() {

//code to get value pairs from URL querystring

//and return them

}

THANKS, LOOKS GOOD UP TO HERE BUT THIS CONCERNS ME:

Call from within your Xerte piece:

mydata = getURL('javascript:getdata("");', '');

>My xerte helpfile is blank on the getURL page, do I have to point it to the
rloObject.js file as the URL? As in:

>mydata = getURL('javascript:getdata("rloObject.js");', '');

In this case, getURL is calling a function (getdata) that exists in the page
the engine is running in.

The function exists because you have added it to rloObject.js, which is part
of  the page the engine is running in.

 >Or is getURL able to grab values passed to and 'within' (but how?) the
xerte file?

getURL can load other URL's or call functions embedded in the page the
engine is embedded in.

In this case we are calling a function.

>I may be missing the whole point here, but the problem I see is, let's say,
25 students starting a course at once. If I'm launching via index.html and
it's passing values for each specific student to rloObject.js then calling
the swf/rlo, and the rlo is looking back at rolOjbect.js for values, I'm
going to get a mish-mash of 25 student values, am I not? I need to pass each
instance of the RLO a student's specific coursemarkID / LoginID /
CompanyCourseID etc. I can't have any possibility of them getting mixed up.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what the issue is.

The information appended in the querystring that launched index.htm will be
unique, correct?

All the rest of what we are talking about is just retrieving that info from
the querystring and getting it into the Xerte piece.