[Xerte] Re: Error: The model data has failed to load

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 21 22:47:09 BST 2011

I think I know what may be happening, though I am a little less sure about
why.

When I use Page Wizards I tend to select "No" when prompted if I want to
open the wizard, this is because I prefer to edit the default page name
prior to opening the wizard. You are probably aware that the wizard can be
opened by double left clicking on the page icon.

I am using Windows 7 and Page Wizards work fine for me. However I did hit a
period, when I would create a new page based on a Page Wizard and after
selecting "No" to the open the wizard prompt, the new page would not appear
in the project list. On examining the page's folder I found that the folder
had been created but that no files had been copied into it. I discovered
that a simple work around was to repeat the process of creating the page but
instead of creating a new folder I selected the empty folder created by my
first attempt. On the second attempt the files would be copied into the
folder and the page would work correctly.

The project I experienced problems with had a lot of pages in it so I
wondered at the time whether this was significant. So I started a new
project ( I was only using the project to test some changes I had made to
the Page Wizards) to continue my testing and the problem just stopped
happening. I raised this with Julian at the time, but since the problem
sorted itself out it became rather difficult to try and duplicate.

I have a gut feel it was something to do with timing. That something, folder
permissions, anti virus software, something compromising the unzipping of
the xcp Page Wizard file into the new folder, ( yes there is a bit of straw
clutching going on here!) was slowing things down and the sequence of
creating the folder and copying the files was not completing in a timely
manner before Xerte had moved on to display the prompt. It may have even
been something to do with that specific project.

So can I invite you to try once more to create a page using a Page Wizard,
but say no when prompted to open the wizard. Then check that the new page is
displaying in the project tree. Check also if the page folder has been
created in the pages folder. If it has check if it has three files in it
(.xml, .rml, .xwd). If as I had you find you have the folder but that it is
empty try repeating the page creation process using the same folder you
created on the first attempt.

You might like to try with a brand new project and see if the problem
persists.

Let me know how you get on.

I have been using Page Wizards ever since they first came into being and
have found them reliable. The problem discussed here I have only experienced
in a couple of projects and only on a Windows 7 PC. So hopefully things will
sort themselves out for you.

I don't know if it is significant but on my PC my account has admin rights.

Kind regards

Johnathan