[Xerte] Re: Can't get export to work

David Goodwin david at palepurple.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 12:48:59 BST 2011

On 21 Oct 2011, at 12:17, Henk Klopping wrote:

> David Goodwin wrote:
>
>> It's a non-issue (line endings).
>
> I dunno. See, sometimes it happens that systems barf when something is at the end of a line or file that should not be there ;-P..
>
> The only problem I had with it is that when I compared versions of some text file with i.e. vimdiff I got a lot of ugly [^M] blocks, which somewhat distract. But a simple pipe through dos2unix will resolve it and if it really does not matter I might even make that change permanent.
>
> Just to reassure: so, you dont' expect stuff to break if I'd convert all text files that are currently in DOS format to Unix format?

My 'vim' seems to cope ok with the above and doesn't barf. Perhaps it's a .vimrc issue?

>> If people want a .deb or something then it wouldn't be too hard to create,
> > but there are still some manual steps required when installing Xerte
> > (e.g. choosing what to use as 'index.php' and so on).
>
> Agreed, but having an RPM at least would give us the benefit that updates would be much easier to do for the "simple user" - and wasn't the entire raison d'etre for this package that it is targeted at folks whom are good at teaching but not that good with technical stuff?

Can you not do (on linux)

* download .zip
* unzip whatever.zip in /var/www, chmod -R 777 xertetoolkits
* point browser at http://localhost/xertetoolkits
* perform XAMMP install - which will work if your MySQL allows you to do 'mysql -u root' with no password on the command line.

I personally just point my web server at 'trunk' or 'branches/1.8' depending on what I'm doing.
> Anyway, we're in trivia now, in essence I agree, David.
>
> Stuff that is not so trivial: folks, we really SHOULD have some additional testing of the package before we declare something 'stable'. I volunteer to help there. If a new release is published, I will install it an test it and report my findings. And if I can find some time, will try to bake an RPM.

Yes, I'm aware. The code base makes it difficult to perform any tests apart from manual ones and there's a lot of duplicated code within it... and then Javascript and Flash on top which makes it more of a pain.
Perhaps I'll sort out selenium + jenkins on it soon, I'm not sure if I can find the time though

David.

Pale Purple Ltd.  (Company No: 5580814)
'Business Web Application Development and Training in PHP'

http://www.palepurple.co.uk
Office: 0845 0046746     Mobile: 07792380669

Follow us on Twitter: @PalePurpleLtd