[Xerte] Re: Customizing XOT Projects

Ron Mitchell ronm at mitchellmedia.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 15:14:01 GMT 2011

:-) Couldn't resist...

http://space.lcm.ac.uk/xerte/play_123

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
[mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Dave Burnett
Sent: 17 November 2011 14:27
To: Xerte list
Subject: [Xerte] Re: Customizing XOT Projects

Tom, excellent stuff!

Gents, I'd stay away from editing the engine .fla.

That way lies dragons...

Dave

  _____

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:15:09 +0100
From: reijnders at tor.nl
To: xerte at lists.nottingham.ac.uk

Hmmm... XOT.

A bit more difficult, but the good news is, that all the things you
mentioned can be done without changing XMLEngine.fla

Depends a bit how you want to do it. I'll explain how to CHANGE an existing
template. The easiest is the Nottingham Page Templates, because there is an
equivalent in the standalone Xerte.

- Get Xerte standalone and install it on your PC
- Start Xerte, and start a new Page Templates project:

- Choose a new directory and open the new project

- Press play to say the current layout

- Leave Xerte
- Retrieve from your XOT installation the file in
<webroot>/modules/xerte/parent_templates/Nottingham/Nottingham.rlt
- Copy it OVER the template.rlt file of the just created Xerte project
- Open Xerte standalone again (by double-clicking template.rlt) in the
folder

- Quit the Wizard (by clicking the X)

- First.... colours...:
You can change the colours by setting optional properties such as
titleBarColour

- You can check what you did by double clicking the First Icon

- and than press Play

- Now for the logo and the position of the buttons etc...
- Leave the Wizard and click on the tree structure and select the setup icon

- Click on Script

- In this script you can move the buttons around and switch on and off the
list boxes and load a new default logo or banner
You do this right below the first if statement (or if the template is older,
below the loadIcon line)

rootIcon.loadIcon(FileLocation + 'media/banner_sheet_transparant_cr.png');
_level0.engine.IFC.themes._visible = false;
_level0.engine.IFC.fonts._visible = false;
_level0.engine.IFC.access._visible = false;
_level0.engine.IFC.sizes._x = 10;
_level0.engine.IFC.txtSize._x = 120;

Also a bit further down in this script all buttons are disabled by
rootIcon.hideControls();
and several are enabled again on a different position.

rootIcon.tocBtn._y = 550;
rootIcon.nextBtn._y = 550;
rootIcon.backBtn._y = 550;
rootIcon.progress._y = 550;
rootIcon.contButton._visible = false;

- We added a banner (any logo wider than 200 pixels is placed in the upper
left corner like a banner), so if you create a semi transparent png of
800x68, you can get some interesting effects!
- Make sure you have the file mentioned in the loadIcon in the media
folder!!

- Check the results by double clicking the top left icon and pressing play
to preview

- Now save and leave Xerte.

It is VERY important NOT to add ANY pages, because these will end in the
template!!!

Than:
- copy template.rlt back over
<webroot>/modules/xerte/parent_templates/Nottingham/Nottingham.rlt
- copy any media file into <webroot>/modules/xerte/parent/Nottingham/media

That should do the trick!

Regards,

Tom