[Xerte] Re: how do I create Tables in XERTE pages

Thomas Rochford thomas.rochford at cambridge-serendipity.com
Thu Nov 10 00:02:47 GMT 2011

Hi Everyone,

My original post about 'old-style' tables was more intended as a proof of
concept than anything more carefully considered. However I have given some
thought to possible workarounds to improve the accessibility of text-based
tables.

My first suggestion would be to use the 'longdesc' attribute and embed it in
anchors (<a></a>) surrounding the keywords, however I'm not sure whether
this attribute will actually be recognised if it's attached to an anchor
rather than an image and, as it is only recognised by text readers, I am
unable to test this out.

The second idea would be to embed a standard hyperlink to a descriptive page
(probably the same one used by the 'longdesc'). Clicking on the link will
bring up the page which can then be read by the text reader.

The example below uses both as a belt and braces approach. It would be nice
if you could use the 'Title' attribute to explain what the link does as that
should be available if you hover over the link but this doesn't seem to be
handled by Flash, nor does the 'Alt' attribute. Maybe there is some other
way? Or maybe you can include them and the Text reader will speak them even
though they don't show.

'----------------.-------.-----.-----'

|----------------+-------+-----+-----|

|Braeburn        |  43.2 | 1.6 |10.2 |

|----------------+-------+-----+-----|

|<a name="Cox"  href="http://www.tcrochford.co.uk/elearning/apple-cox.txt"
longdesc="http://www.tcrochford.co.uk/elearning/apple-cox.txt"
target="_blank">Cox</a>             |  44.4 | 2.0 |10.4 |

|----------------+-------+-----+-----|

|Egremont Russet |  45.0 | 1.6 |10.6 |

|----------------+-------+-----+-----|

|Gala            |  43.9 | 1.3 |10.3 |

|----------------+-------+-----+-----|

|Pink Lady       |  44.5 | 1.6 |10.5 |

'----------------'-------'-----'-----'

In principle you should be able to tab between hyperlinks which would
address Judy's question, but that also doesn't seem to be possible within
the Flash interface: tabbing just brings up all the text, it seems.

Kindest Regards,
Thomas
Eml: thomas.rochford at cambridge-serendipity.com
Web: http://www.cambridge-serendipity.com/

Skype: cambridge.serendipity
Mob: 07500 669 002
Fax: 01223 563142
environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail