[Xerte] Moodle, scorm and Xerte

Janine Dantzie Janine.Dantzie at bcu.ac.uk
Tue May 17 15:52:19 BST 2011

thanks Tom,

I have used the online toolkits to produce a Scorm tracked quiz, but
once I uploaded the published Scorm package to our Moodle it did not
appear to track anything.

Any ideas?

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 12:37:46 +0200
From: Tom Reijnders <reijnders at tor.nl>
To: Xerte discussion list <xerte at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject: [Xerte] Re: Scorm and VLE's

There are many different ways of being SCORM compliant...

What Xerte does out of the box, is provide you with SCORM compliant
packaging.
It has all the features and ingredients to make great SCORM packages,
but you need to be able to script, and you need a fairly good knowledge
of the SCORM  RTE (Run time Environment) and the way that RTE is
implemented by your specific LVE.

Basically all interaction between an RLO and SCORM is done through two
API calls that set and/or get SCORM data elements. So you have to know
the data elements and how to use them and also which data elements are
picked up by your specific LVE to make it work.

A further complication is, that the RTE of SCORM 1.2 is different from
the RTE of SCORM 2004, so you need to decide which you want to use.

In the Page templates there is some support for SCORM (1.2) in the quiz
page. If you enable the (optional) Scorm tracking parameter, it will
track the final score in SCORM.

I have a more elaborate example of the quiz for Scorm 2004 that also
records the learners answers, and in review mode will show you a summary

of the answers given, and the correct answers. However, it's only in
Dutch at the moment.

We are in the process of providing the quiz in English, and also
enabling Xerte Online Toolkits to package for Scorm 2004.

For an example of how SCORM is handled, install Xerte Standalone, start
a new Page Templates project, go to the directory of the new project, go

in to the model directory and double-click on quiz.rlm.

This is the standard Scorm enabled Page. For an example of how the score

is sent to scorm, check the scorm script icon at the end.

Hope this helps a bit. There is not much concrete documentation, but
Xerte is in potential really great software for SCORM. It is the only
package that I, as a programmer, can provide elaborate SCORM enabled
templates to non-programmers.

Op 17-5-2011 12:09, Janine Dantzie schreef:
> We are very interested in producing some learning objects that are
SCORM
> compliant to use within our VLE.
> Can anyone point me towards any tutorials on how to do this, so that
> SCORM picks up on the users actions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Janine

University of Nottingham.

attachment
> may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer
system:
> you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with
the
> University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK
legislation.

Tom Reijnders
TOR Informatica
Chopinlaan 27