[Xerte] Re: Xerte 2 : Help File for Wizard Forms in PageTemplates, On-line Toolkits and Page Wizards

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Wed May 4 10:08:32 BST 2011

I appreciate the issues that Mark is raising. If I was managing your wiki I
would feel the same and probably would not open up the submission of PDFs.

As someone with 54 Page Wizards to document it would be much easier for me
to maintain a series of open office documents that offer sophisticated and
familiar handling of text and images, which I can then upload as PDFs than
it would be to create every page in the Wiki environment.

Having said that (and I am kicking myself under the desk as I type this) the
issue in once sense is about becoming familiar with a different editing
environment. Once the familiarity is achieved then the discrepancy between
use of Open Office and the wiki is reduced.

The absolute worst case scenario is one in which a series of PDF help files
are created and uploaded to the wiki and then PDF submission is turned off
again. This would then compromise the further maintenance of those pages as
I would either have to upload zip files which would not open in Xerte
(breaking the help link to existing Page Wizard based projects and requiring
the updating of the links in a new release of the Page Wizards) or recreate
the Help Files as Wiki pages, (again breaking the links and effectively
resulting in having created all the help files twice, once as Open Office
documents and once as Wiki Pages).

Much as I appreciate Mark's gesture, if there is a possibility that the
uploading of PDFs could be turned off again later then I will be better
biting the bullet and creating the help pages as wiki pages.

If Mark has turned on PDF submission as a direct response to this discussion
it may be better if he turns it off again double quick, cusses me for being
a nuisance and breathes a healthy sigh of relief.

I take it there was no feature that would allow uploading of PDFs to
specific users only?

If the help files end up as Wiki Pages then there is one advantage to be
had. The Help Files could be set up in the Wiki outside of the Page Wizard
context i.e. as a set of Page Template help files that could cover pages in
the "Page Templates" project wide template, Xerte On-line Toolkits and Page
Wizards. Features of a page or pages that were unique to a particular
environment could then be marked * Only applies to Page Wizard version, or *
Only applies to Toolkits version etc.

In which case would there be any one else up for writing some help pages? (I
am assuming the Wiki will support shared ownership / editing of content.)

Kind regards

Johnathan