[Xerte] Re: Some Modification Questions in Page Wizards (attn. JK)

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 7 12:16:57 GMT 2011

Hello Deborah,

Highlights

Drag drop label highlight colour. There is an omission in the xml file for
the Drag and Drop Label Page Wizard - the highlightColour property is
missing. As a result it does not show as an option in the Page Wizard so it
defaults to black. Not sure what happened there - I will fix this in the
forthcoming page wizards update. In the mean time open the xml file for the
Drag and Drop Label page (you will need to do this for each page you have
created using this wizard) and add to the end of the properties the
following

highlightColour="0xffff00"

e.g.
<learningObject>
<dragDropLabel narration="FileLocation + 'media/acquire_Olfactory.mp3'"
linkID="" text="Enter text for the page here" url="FileLocation +
'media/boggs.jpg'" align="Left" tip="Enter a tooltip for the image"
highlightColour="0xffff00">
<hotspot name="Ma" text="Description for the hotspot" feedback="Try Again"
x="14" y="7" w="72" h="57" />
</dragDropLabel>
</learningObject>

Do this when Xerte is not running. If you lack an editor in which to do this
you might like to try FlashDevelop a free download from FlashDevelop.org

When you reopen Xerte the page wizard should display the highlightColour
property and you can use the colour picker to set it to what you want.

The reason your additions to the xml did not work is due to inconsistencies
between the property names in the various page wizards.

Getting narration working with Page Wizards

1. Download the narrationHandler model from the Page Wizards page of the
xerte wiki.
2. Add an Entry Frame to the interface of your project, so that it appears
as the first child of the interface.
3. Unzip the narrationHandlers.rlm model file from the downloaded zip file.
4. Do File / Insert Model in Xerte to import the narrationHandlers.rlm file
into your xerte project and then move the narrationHandlers icon so that it
is a child of the Entry Frame.

In your page's Wizard add the optional property "narration" from the
optional properties menu and set its value by using the file selector button
to locate an .mp3 file that will be your narration.

When the page loads you should see a player bar, click this and the
narration will play.

If you want the narration to play when the page loads then you could try
this, it has worked on my brief testing on one Page Wizard, but with a bit
of luck and fingers crossed it may well work for all of them.

1. Expand the page's icon structure in the project tree.
2. Select the script "getPageID"
3. Open the script property and locate the block of code that sets the
narration, it will be similar to the following - except for the nar.play();
bit and the page name referenced.

Just add the nar.play(); line and narration should happen automatically when
the page is opened.

if (pageIcon.templateData.learningObject[0].dragDropLabel[0].narration !=
undefined){
narration =
pageIcon.templateData.learningObject[0].dragDropLabel[0].narration;
rootIcon.broadcast('showAudio');
  nar.play();  // add this line
}

Kind regards