[Xerte] Re: Problem Getting Started with Page Wizards - for attention of JK

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 2 13:19:28 GMT 2011

Have you seen the posting I made about 9 minutes ago? I wonder if our
postings have crossed.

Looking at your latest picture It looks like the wizards are installed
correctly as they are listing in Xerte.

However your second image suggests to me that you have created a page using
a page wizard, but that you are then trying to open it by opening the folder
you created it in and directly opening the .rlm file.

What you need to do is close Xerte.

Now open Xerte and open the project folder (it has a .rlo extension) by
default when you do File / Open in Xerte you will only see .rlo files
listed.

Once you have the project open you should see the interface icon in the
project tree with at least a single ordinary page icon as this is the
default structure that Xerte creates when you create a new project. If you
have added any Page Wizard based pages you will see them also listed in the
project structure. The icons look the same as the page icon, but have a
"dot" or "circle" on them that denotes they have a wizard attached. Just
double click on the page icon to open the wizard.

When you create a page based on a Page Wizard the .xcp file for that Page
Wizard is unzipped by Xerte into the folder you selected. Hence you can see
in your ...pages\title page folder the Xerte model file, the Xerte wizard
file and the xml document file. Xerte continues to use the Wizard file and
the xml document file, but the model file is only used by Xerte when you
first create the page as it uses it to copy the icon structure of the model
into the Xerte project. Part of this process includes writing the correct
templateData path to the model. So if you open the page wizard based page
from Xerte it should work fine. However since the model file remains
unchanged by Xerte the templateData path value is not updated. So if you try
to open this it will open in Xerte but when you click on the Page Icon Xerte
will collapse to the task bar as it cannot find the associated wizard and
xml data files.

I have just had a message displayed that you have made another posting to
the list. So maybe things are working for you now. If not the above may be
useful to you. Whatever the exercise will have done me good :-)

Kind regards

Johnathan