[Xerte] Re: Xerte Develper Nonference: Suggested Dates

Alistair McNaught Alistair.McNaught at HEAcademy.ac.uk
Tue Jun 28 15:34:45 BST 2011

Johnathan,

Would this allow non techie people like me to add additional optional
elements to a page - for example to have a video clip in a page template
that currently hasn't got that option?

Alistair

From: xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
[mailto:xerte-bounces at lists.nottingham.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Kemp
Johnathan
Sent: 28 June 2011 15:28
To: Xerte discussion list
Subject: [Xerte] Re: Xerte Develper Nonference: Suggested Dates

My thinking, in offering to do something in relation to Page Wizards was
to expect no previous experience other than use of Page Templates or
On-line toolkits and to get people to a point where they could

*	install and use Page Wizards,
*	understand how the various files worked together
*	learn how they can leverage Page Wizards to build their
Developer skill and knowledge from simple beginnings to achieving the
ability to create their own new Page Wizards.

This would include practical items such as

*	Understanding the basic make up of a page (not a detailed review
of  the different icons)
*	Modifying properties to change the way a page looks.
*	Adding additional properties to a page's wizard form e.g.
changing font size or colour, adding dropShadows to images.
*	Saving a modified page as a new Page Wizard for future re-use.
*	Looking at some existing Page Wizards to see how you might
re-purpose elements from one page to a different use in a new Page
Wizard.

In other words not so much "what do you want to build" but "how can you
gain the knowledge you will need to build what you want to build".

You can't learn to be a Xerte developer in a day, but you can learn how
to use the resources that Xerte has to offer, so that you can manage
your learning in an effective, efficient and rewarding way that is
practically useful from Day 1.

What form any input on my part may take would depend on the facilities
available and on what people wanted - e.g. informal discussion,
presentation, more formal training with opportunity to practice.

I don't know how this fits with everyone else's expectations, but I hope
it peaks their interest.

Kind regards

Johnathan

On 28 June 2011 13:55, Davidson, Andrew <Andrew.Davidson at warwick.ac.uk>