[Xerte] Xerte 2.16 Inconsistent inclusion of Page Wizard based pages

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 10 10:41:05 BST 2011

I have been creating a couple of test projects recently using Xerte 2.16 and
the current release of the Page Wizards on a computer running Windows 7.

I am adding new pages using the following sequence

   1.

   1. Select the interface icon
   2. Click on the templates menu
   3. Click on a Page Wizard from the list of available wizards e.g. e)
   Interactivity / Annotated Diagram
   4. When the Browse for Computer dialogue opens I navigate to the project
   folder,
   5. Expand the project folder,
   6. Expand the Pages folder (which I created earlier to hold each page
   wizard folder).
   7. Select the Pages folder
   8. Click on the Make New Folder button
   9. Enter a name for the new folder e.g. AnnotatedDiagram
   10. Click off the folder name to ensure the name change is saved.
   11. Ensure the newly named folder is selected.
   12. Click the OK button.
   13. The confirm dialogue is displayed asking if I want to Open the
   wizard?
   14. I have tested both situations i.e. When clicking Yes and when
   clicking No.

Most of the time on completion of the sequence the Page appears listed in
the project structure panel if I did not choose to open the Wizard. If I
chose to open the Wizard the wizard opens, and on closing the wizard the
page is listed in the project structure. Which is exactly what is supposed
to happen.

However sometimes, and it is happening quite frequently, the page is not
listed in the project structure. If I selected to open the wizard the last
page in the project wizard opens. On closing the wizard the new page is not
listed in the project structure. On examining the Pages folder the new
page's folder has been created containing the xml, rlm and xwd files, but it
also contains the page wizard's common folder (normally this would not be
there. I think it gets copied there and is then deleted by Xerte once any
required files have been copied to the Project's common folder).

When this occurs I generally repeat the process but select to use the folder
originally created when I made my first attempt. When prompted that the
folder is not empty I select to use the folder and then the Page Wizard
entry process completes correctly and the common folder in the Page's folder
is usually (but not in every case) deleted.

The current release of the Page Wizards does not contain any of the recent
modifications to achieve a common set of rlm files. Most of the Page Wizards
in the current release have been in use without change for months, some over
a year.

Did anything change in Xerte 2.16 that would affect the process of creating
a Page Wizard based page?
Could it be something to do with Windows 7?

The current situation does not prevent the use of Page Wizards, it is just a
bit frustrating and inconvenient.

Anyone any ideas that might resolve this situation?

Kind regards

Johnathan

   1.