[Xerte] Re: Flash Paper

Fred Riley Fred.Riley at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 13:37:51 BST 2011

> I am trying to show a word document in a learning object. Rather than
> just use a hyperlink I am trying to add it as a Flash Paper. Does it
> not work with a Word.doc or should I convert it to another format
> first?

I ran into this problem in a Toolkits app from a couple of years back (http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/toolkits/play_298), where I needed to display example pages from template documents. Because Flash can't handle DOC or PDF (and I'd be interested to hear the Adobe word as to why bloody not, seeing as PDF is an Adobe format ;-\), I had to convert DOCs to SWF via Flash Paper (see section G for an example). Because Adobe has, with its characteristic attitude to its customers, killed off Flash Paper, I don't know what future options there will be for displaying docs in Flash apps, including Xerte.

In the meantime, AFAIK, you've no option but to use Flash Paper, if you can get your mitts on a licence. Not very helpful, I know - sorry :(

Cheers

Fred