[Xerte] Re: FW: Re: Moodle 2 server file structure?

Dave Burnett d_b_burnett at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 13:10:16 BST 2011

Lot's of complaining from "advanced" users, or at least the folks who are doing something more than uploading a Word doc and linking to it.

I'm late to the discussion, but it appears it's a dispute about LMS vs LCMS philosophy.
So they are severely restricting the content manipulation side of things.

Ron: If I was administrating the thing, I would take your advice and host the heavy media elsewhere.
But the architecture is engine based, and really counts on a known structure to run multiple courses.

root //engine
  course folder
    section1folder
      audiofolder
      videofolder
      xmldriverfile
  course folder

    section1folder

      audiofolder

      videofolder

      xmldriverfile

etc

Rejigging to have external media is of course possible, but this sort of radical structure change for a large base app is kind of stupid IMO.

Sure, AS2 to AS3, but the advantages there are obvious.
What does this Moodle change accomplish? Save some server space by reusing files?
I thought storage costs were almost a non-factor these days...
Why they would interfere with OS based pathing and interpolate a databased one is bizarre to me.

Peeved.

Dave