[Xerte] Re: Timed Text

Julian Tenney Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jan 31 09:52:47 GMT 2011

I uploaded a fresh build of Xerte 3.0 on Friday: it has the timed text component in it. In Xerte 3.0 you can create your own icons by writing classes. This is  good example of one. Any class put in the org/xerte/ folder is shown as an icon on the components menu: you can then set its public properties using properties of the icon. This means it is really easy to extend Xerte 3.0 to do specific things - a bit of work remains to get the public properties to show up on the icon's properties after inserting, right now, you need to know what they are.

In the svn is also an example in the examples/captions folder showing this in use. For fun I made a google translate icon, for translating between languages, and used it with the timed text component to show the timed text as subtitles in the usual way, but also to present a drop down list of languages, and then show the translation of the subtitles into the chosen language as the movie plays.

It would be great to have developers contribute classes for the component menu. I use FlashDevelop for writing the AS3.0.