[Xerte] Re: Happy Birthday Xerte

Dave Burnett d_b_burnett at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:29:41 BST 2011

"Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light".

Kudos to every dogsbody involved, then till now.
The very spirit of learning.

:-)

From: Julian.Tenney at nottingham.ac.uk
To: xerte at lists.nottingham.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:41:00 +0100
Subject: [Xerte] Happy Birthday Xerte

Hi, It is, today, five years since we sent the first humble message to the fledgling listserv we’d set up for this piece of software we didn't have a name for that we thought might be useful. The message simply said (in the best traditions) ‘test’ and it received the equally humble reply ‘tested’. The software was known then simply as ‘the engine’. We picked Xerte as an acronym for ‘xml editor and run-time engine’, and some time later we discovered that xerte means ‘to know’ or ‘joyful’ in Greek:http://comms.nottingham.ac.uk/learningtechnology/2011/04/04/in-the-know/. ‘Xerte’ also returned 0 hits in google at the time: now, Google provides 117,000 references! Over 10,000 messages later here we are, a community of over 350 people all over the world representing hundreds of institutions and organisations, and it’s thanks to all of you that we’ve reached this milestone: I doff my cap to you all. There are a few more details of the project’s history here:http://comms.nottingham.ac.uk/learningtechnology/2011/08/29/happy-birthday-xerte-key-events/ and here:
http://comms.nottingham.ac.uk/learningtechnology/2011/08/30/happy-birthday-xerte-the-development-of-xerte-toolkits/ for your delectation! Please enjoy a slice of virtual cake. Happy Birthday Xerte! J

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use,
copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.