[Xerte] Re: Scoring in Xerte

Kemp Johnathan johnathan.kemp at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 2 19:44:28 BST 2011

Sorry Deborah,

I missed you posting this.

If I understand you correctly you have an exercise in a swf that generates a
score.

I think what Julian is saying here is that _level0.engine references the
Xerte engine.

I think (I am no Flash expert) that it may be that since your swf will run
in Xerte, when it is running in Xerte it will have access to Xerte via
_level0.engine, so it would be valid to create a variable in your swf called
_level0.engine.debsScore1 = 22.

I think this would persist across different pages in Xerte so that you could
have several score variables and then add them up in a final Xerte page.

As a test try setting a value in your swf e.g. _level0.engine.debsScore =
20;
Then in the Xerte page that is running your swf try adding a script icon
after the swf has loaded, or just select an existing script icon that is
sequenced after the swf has loaded (lower down in the project tree) and try
adding the line

debug("debsScore is " + _level0.engine.debsScore);

When you preview the project a debug window should open and display
"debsScore is ..." where ... might with a bit of luck be 20. If the swf has
not yet defined the variable or I am just plain wrong then you will get a
value of "undefined" displayed.

Give it a try and see how you get on.

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but whilst I know my way around the page
wizards I don't (as yet) do any work in Flash that then needs to interact
with Xerte.

Kind regards

Johnathan